If you’re concerned about the state of your home, you should be aware of your legal rights and options regarding housing disrepair in Sheffield. Your rights can be protected by law, and your local council will work with you to make sure your property is in good condition. This article will help you understand the process of making a housing claim, including how to file a complaint, how much compensation you can expect to receive, and whether you should get in touch with a solicitor.

Complaints procedure

Housing disrepair claims in Sheffield have increased by over three-quarters in the last year. Since the start of the 2018/19 financial year, the council has received more than 680 claims, with 230 claims in the first five months of the 2019/20 financial year. This increase has put pressure on the council’s limited resources and has led to a new housing disrepair leeds complaints procedure.

When a resident has a complaint, he or she should write to the landlord and keep a record of the replies. A clear complaint can help the landlord to better understand the problem and to find an appropriate solution. The complaints procedure usually involves two stages. In the first stage, a landlord must acknowledge that the complaint was made, then follow up with a written response. If this initial response doesn’t resolve the issue, the tenant should request a final response.

Compensation available for housing disrepair

Housing disrepair can lead to a range of unpleasant experiences. It can result in mould, broken boilers, and issues with utilities. If you feel that these situations are affecting your life, you can make a claim for compensation. The amount of compensation you can claim will depend on how bad the situation is and how long it’s been going on.

To make a claim, tenants must notify their landlord about the problems and provide evidence. In many cases, landlords will keep records of complaints and works carried out. To prove that a landlord breached their duty of care, tenants should keep a record of any correspondence with their landlord, including text messages or call logs.